GroveOntario:Joseph & Sari Grove do art

Forums

Forum Home > Words > Bible quotes:(that have helped me as an artist)...(Do you have any?)

groveontario
Site Owner

Ecclesiastes : "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's how the smart money bets." (Damon Runyan loved this Bible quote, um, I mean, he paraphrased the Bible & said it like that...He was also a gambler...)(Quote reference found in wikipedia page for Damon Runyan, who I talk like...)  :)

" Seeth thou a  man diligent in his business? He will standth before Kings; not before obscure men" Proverbs 22: 29 (I own a black shirt with this proverb printed in white writing up the right sleeve, for me to read to myself, if need be...) (This proverb comes in handy when some entity rejects your artwork submission...)

--
June 22, 2011 at 4:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

groveontario
Site Owner

Werner Herzog the director of the film Cave of Forgotten Dreams spoke on the Stephen Colbert show about the fact that these cave painters lived over 35 thousand years ago...Colbert said how is that possible since God records only 6 thousand years in the Bible? Herzog explained that the cave painters had to invent God... That God had himself to be created, developed, refined...You understand this right? That things existed in a raw unfinished unready ugly form beforehand, but were not ready to be looked at, at that particular time...Dinosaurs are perhaps an earlier form of God, that He did not necessarily want to be the image that he wanted to present to the public...

I studied evolutionism & creationism early in my artist practice, & came to the conclusion that both were just different storytelling versions of the same story...No conflict if you look closely at both...Emphasis is different...mainly only because evolution is like looking under a microscope & creation is like gazing at the ocean from far away...Just distance...

--
June 23, 2011 at 11:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

groveontario
Site Owner

Droop & Drip... Let's start with drips... Whe a drip occurs, you can consider it a mistake or a happy accident & go with it... I go with the drip... Another reason to go with the drip, besides the fact that the drip may be a higher power's way of adding to your artwork is...The other reason is that the drip breaks the third wall...The third wall in acting is when you break in the middle of the performance & speak directly to the audience...In art, the drip says: "This is art, artifice, not a real animal..."...This is important because breaking the third wall in your works of art can make your object less scary, especially to children...It also makes the art less realistic, which pleases religious peoples from a myriad of cultures...

Droop is like drip: Droop is like when you make a sculpture & come back later & it has drooped...But droop also breaks the third wall...It tells people that this is a sculpture, not a real thing...It is art...Droop breaks realism as well...It makes the work more interesting...Droop can also make the sculpture stronger, because the droop has found the optimal way for the thing to sit, with gravity...You make a giraffe & it droops...But now the neck is supported maybe by the body & the work is stronger...Possibly more evocative...

Droop & drip are interesting ways to allow your art to grow...Droop & drips allow for deeper meaning...Life makes us all droop & drip, why shouldn't our art works also be allowed to droop & drip?

--
June 24, 2011 at 12:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

groveontario
Site Owner

http://bible.cc/matthew/6-5.htm

Matthew 6:1 "Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

Teach them how to make the sound of a goose by putting their hands together, teach them how to make the sound of an owl that way too, teach them how to take a blade of grass & make music with their hands & their breath, teach them how to sing if they have no other instrument, teach them to play the washboard, teach them how to make a homemade guitar... A comment/note written by me to the St. Joseph's catholic school who needs some money to buy musical instruments for their grade sevens & eights...

Do you agree with the quote, "No good deed goes unpunished"? (me, I'm inclined to)...

June 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

groveontario
Site Owner

Was watching the book release interview with Cathy Truett the creator of Chick-fil-A restaurant chain: Words that he says got him by, "it is better to give than to receive", "Acknowledge the Lord & He will direct all your paths", & 'take Sunday OFF...' (Of course, I watched all of this & took away from it an idea- they showed Cathy's first job which was to drag a child's wagon around with coke bottles on it & sell the Coke to his neighbours...I, of course, am now looking for a child's old fashioned wagon to dolly my swan sculpture...The things you take away from speeches...!)

--
July 11, 2011 at 12:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.